Sunday, January 25, 2015

The Book of Mormon is awesome.....

January 21, 2015
Long hike to the waterfalls!

Mom,

It's a pretty rough hike we took last week, about 8 hours to that waterfall. So if you really want to go hike all day and be absolutely dead after, we can go back to that. I was only sick that morning. So it had to have been food poisoning or something like that. Cause after it was all out of my system, everything was fine. Everyone that we have right now to teach were being taught by the missionaries before I got here. Elder Tecun doesn't like to do contacts, so we aren't finding any new people. But the funny thing is, we had zone conference this week, and President Cook and the Assistants both talked about doing more contacts, so I think it hit him that we have to do more contacts. So I think that from now on, we are going to do more contacts. I would say that a lot of our investigators are progressing though. He wants me to lead the lessons now when we teach, he wants me to lead the sector, have the phone, and lead companionship study. It's not super hard. I don't know if it's a humble thing for him to let me do this or more like a lazy thing. I think he is just sick of being senior companion so he just told me to do it. I'll take the challenge though.

This transfer has been so incredibly fast. Less than a week til transfers, but I am almost positive that things will stay the same for this change, but you never know. Good I'm glad you emailed President Cook. I would like to bless the sacrament every once in a while. I haven't blessed it one time. But I do really like playing the piano.

Yeah I have heard two stories about missionaries seeing people get killed. It's super unsafe here in Chile, so if we come back here, we aren't going to use any public transportation. We will have to rent a car. I haven't really had any different unique food lately, but the food is always the same. Our house decided to start eating healthy and to start doing exercises so every other day we are doing P90X and the other days we are doing our own thing. Every morning we eat eggs and bread, and every night we make a smoothie of just fruit, yogurt, and ice cubes. It's actually a lot better than it sounds.  I would love to see the snow right now. I am so sick of hot weather, it feels like forever that I have been in hot weather. I think that I am going to love the cold weather more than ever before.

Simple is definitely the best way to teach. Teaching complicated can just confuse the investigators, and sometimes that can cause them to stop taking the lessons.  Teaching someone doesn't need to be complicated. And Elder Leon needs to realize that they aren't going to know all the deep doctrine and all the complicated stuff until after their baptism, if at all. That is something that I am going to have to start pushing with the investigators. They all think that they have to have a perfect knowledge that this church is true and that they can't have any doubts at all before they can get baptized. But that's not how it is at all. We have had several lessons in district meeting that baptism is only the door. After the baptism is when you can solidify your testimony and everything else. They all just expect too much.

One of my favorite chapters in the Book of Mormon is Alma 30, where Alma is talking to Korihor about signs and everything and then he is struck dumb, I think that it is a great chapter for people that want to see a sign. I like the Alma 30:44 a lot.

 Halo 5 is the only game that I will want you to preorder.  Right now, two games are your priority to get for me. Halo 5, and Halo Master Chief Collection. I would be happy if those were the only two games that you got me. Thanks love you! The only way I want to be spoiled is with video games, a car, and a phone hahaha.

Wow there is really only 2 missionaries in the whole stake?? That's crazy. There are about 40 in the San Bernardo Stake. The missionaries love when the members serve really good food. I can testify of that. The mormon messages are awesome too. I have seen every one like 6 or 7 times now haha.

I stopped reading the Bible because I need to start reading everything in Spanish. Maybe once I read everything in Spanish I will finish the Bible. The Bible is just so confusing and it's really not any fun to read at all. The Book of Mormon is awesome, that is something that I have realized a lot here in the mission. We teach with it every day, way more than the Bible. The Bible has really good parts too, but the Book of Mormon is just so much easier to understand. I have already been contemplating my topic for my homecoming talk, I want to make it epic haha.

Something that would be awesome if you sent me, the U.S. coins. There are a lot of people here that would love to see a quarter or a nickel so you should send me one of every coin haha. Something really awesome that happened this week was the zone conference. The whole thing was awesome, but the very first thing that happened, is we watched Meet the Mormons. It was such an awesome movie. I have to admit that I was expecting that it would teach a little bit more about our church, but I still think that it was awesome. We watched it in Spanish, and it wasn't even hard for me to understand for the more part. It was a really good movie though.

Well thanks for writing me and keeping me updated on everything! Love you and I will talk to you again next week!

Love,
Elder Stam

No comments:

Post a Comment