Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Every knee will bend, the language has "clicked"...

April 29, 2015


Mom and Dad,
Must be an activity? 


 Things are still going wonderful. We had the most lessons last week that I have had in my mission so far, we had 21 lessons. The average of the mission is just about 10 lessons a week. Elder Henderson really knows what he's doing. We actually haven't been able to find the lady that asked us to teach her, she has sort of disappeared. We are still trying to find her though. She just told us that she wanted to get baptized though, which is pretty amazing.

Really though the weeks just seem to fly by. Sometimes I feel like I don't know what to write you guys because it feels like I just wrote you. It's nice though. One week is about 1% of my mission haha. We as missionaries kind of do the same thing as what you are doing dad. We have a ward list of all the members that live in our area. Well our job is to go and find the people, find out if they moved, if they're receptive, and anything else. It keeps the ward list updated and we find a lot more less active members to teach that way. Rain huh, no snow? We still have just been having pure heat, pretty annoying. It's okay though.

We saw a little bit about the volcano at an investigators house. Pretty cool, but we haven't had any ashes here in Santiago. They said that the wind took all the smoke and smog a different direction. Haha don't worry about that stuff, it most likely won't happen. And if it does we will be protected and it will just be an opportunity to do a bunch of service. I want to lose just a little bit of weight still. And yeah we are still riding bikes. We went one day without bikes and we were late to everything. It takes 30 to walk what it takes 5 minutes to bike.

 That's good that you are doing well with plenty of work, the people here in Chile need to learn how to handle money. Most of the people live off of the money they earn that day to pay for their food. A lot of people declare bankruptcy just to get money from the government. I don't know how they live like that.

 Haha we had zone conference this week and President Cook came up to me and said that he was friends with you(mom) on Facebook, and that he'll know if I say anything about him now haha. He is an incredibly amazing guy. His knowledge about the gospel is ridiculous. I am sure that he is going to be an apostle one day, without a doubt. He has had a bunch of family members be apostles. He's one of a kind haha.

We have church at 10 here, so it ends at 1 and the earliest that I could call would probably be 2. We will see though. I'll have to talk to the family whose house we are going to do it at, and when my companion wants to call. It would be cool to have the books with cello also, just to see it I guess haha. The clothing is holding up pretty well. The pants are probably in the worst shape. I've had to sew a bunch of seams and the tan ones have a grease stain from the bikes haha, but other than that, everything is fine.

 I haven't been picky at all about eating, I have eaten everything that the people have given me every time. Every single time. I love the food here haha. It's all the same now, but it's still good. I am almost sure that we teach the lessons in a different style than the missionaries there. I don't know though.

You will be grateful when the bathroom is done.  You guys are complaining about the bathroom now but you both know that when it's finished you are going to be super grateful. The more that we suffer, the more capable we are to feel joy. Something I've learned here. It would be pretty sweet to have a bathroom like that, you are really going to enjoy it. We don't even have hot water that much, so it could be worse.

The difference between good and evil is getting worse, and that is something that we are going to see throughout our entire lives. It talks about it a lot in the scriptures I've realized. Just remember that it says that every knee will bend in worship of our Lord. I have been thinking about that a lot lately and it is kind of going to be like a smack in the face to the people that reject us. We just can't succumb to the devil and his temptations like every one else in the world now.

 I could say that I've had the "click" with the language, but I don't remember a specific time when it happened. I remember coming into this ward not being able to speak hardly at all, and now I'm going to be leaving soon speaking like one of them. There are still a few things that I can't understand, mostly because of the vocabulary and because Chileans speak really bad, but it's fine, I don't have any problems now. I have also just found it a lot easier to go straight to Spanish without translating it too, it takes a little out of the message to translate it. I really noticed that a lot with General Conference talks, it just wasn't the same in Spanish.

 Oh hey by the way, I got the family pictures, they look really nice. I completely forgot about the picture with all of you couples kissing and then me kissing the dog. Everyone thinks it's a hilarious picture.

Well thanks for writing me once again, have a great week, don't forget to read the scriptures, we can learn a lot from them. Love you!

Love,
Elder Stam
Fun with Hair!  Ha ha

No, silly.


No comments:

Post a Comment